Wednesday 5 March 2014

Northern Lights

 A phenomenon also known as Aurora Borealis. I was asking everyone about it since the day I arrived - if does it occur here and when can I expect it. I was looking forward to see northern lights and very often I was just staring through the window. Someone has told me, that in fact they look more grayish than green. One night, about 2 a.m. I just went out and saw a thin line in the sky. It was really amazing and I felt like a child that discovers world for the very first time. I tried to take a picture, but I couldn't.
I didn't even know what settings should I use, and after a moment my miracle faded into darkness.


This is the only picture I managed to take that night. It's blurred, but at that time I was proud, that I got a proof of what I had seen. I compare it to USG - couples are amazed by seeing only a tiny embryo, so was I, seeing 2 cm of green line. Even though I felt great, I wasn't satisfied - I needed a really good photo. Next time when I saw aurora, I was with Agata. We went out screaming, and other people followed us to this spontaneous gathering. We're standing near the shore of fjord (some people in pyjamas or even bare feet) and trying to take picture of northern lights. When it disappeared after few minutes, I was angry that I couldn't take a picture. I opened my PC and started reading tutorials how to photograph aurora borealis. As it turned out you should have: ISO between 400-800, long exposition - even 30", and obviously to immobilize your camera. I haven't took a tripod, but I it was enough to put my camera on a wooden table at the back of my dorm. Third time lucky! When I saw it next time, I was prepared.


For me it's not easy to describe this view. Of course, there are people who don't even care if there's aurora or not. In places that are farther to the north, e.g. Tromsø, northern lights are visible almost every evening. Maybe if you live there for a longer time and see it very often, you may get used to it. Maybe. But every time I see it, I feel amazed by its beauty. No matter if they are tiny, if they disappear after a few minutes. It's something inexpressible, you just need to see it on your own. In fact, they are not that green as you can see on the photos. They are quite gray, if strong - they look quite greenish. Nevertheless, I'm still looking through my window during the night, to see if maybe there is a tiny aurora... Sometimes I'm lucky. 



How does it happen? It's made by collision, when electrons from solar wind interact with Earth's atmosphere. Actually, magnetic north is not the same as geographical north and they are more visible in Northern Norway than in North Pole. There are several kinds of northern lights, depending on the type of gas particles that are colliding. The most popular (and the only I have seen) are green. But also they can be pink, red, purple, blue etc. As far as I know, some of us are looking forward to see pink aurora. 
Who knows? 








To be or not to be? Well, it's not easy to predict aurora. There are many factors that have influence on it. It's possible to forecast these explosions and we very often passionately check one of pages, that is said to be most reliable - Alaska Institute. But it's just half the battle won. It has to be a really clear, cloudless sky to see something. Nevertheless, experience taught us not to rely on any forecasts that much. Often it said that northern lights will be visible, and then... nothing. So there's no one universal method. You just have to observe the sky and be patient. Actually, northern lights can occur at anytime when it's dark. However someone told us that usually they are visible around 1 a.m., we've seen them twice even at 9 p.m.  That's why I'm gazing at the sky in night - you'll never know. 


My newest picture of aurora borealis, taken last night. I think I'll never be fed up with it. It's like a gift from the sky, something reserved only for people living in the north. I could stay the whole night staring at the sky, but nights are quite cold and... northern lights often disappear very quickly. Sometimes they are visible even less than 10 minutes. That's why so awaited and appreciated is every moment of seeing them.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely want to see pink northern lights! And I love how your photos evolve :)

    ReplyDelete